(Abt 1785-)
Mrs Klobasa
(Abt 1785-)
(Abt 1790-)
(Abt 1790-)
Anthony KLOBASA, Sr
(Abt 1815-1873)
Caroline KLOBASA


Family Links


Caroline KLOBASA 1 2 3 4

  • Born: 4 Nov 1842, Chocen, Bohemia 5 6
  • Married: 1864, , , , USA
  • Died: 27 Mar 1910, St Louis, St Louis, Missouri, USA 7 8
  • Buried: 29 Mar 1910, Cemetery, New Picker, 60 E, St Louis, St Louis, Missouri, USA 9 10

   Cause of her death was Bronchopeumonia.

   User ID: 13.

   General Notes:

Immigrated 1855 (1 year Aft husband) Chocen Bohemia> New York> Buffalo> Racine WI> Iowa > St Louis MO; Speaks English.

Lived in house at 4053 Connecticut St. with 37 yo son LAH (married KGS in Apr 1910 one month after CK's death in Mar 1910)

US Census 1880, US Census 1900, US Census 1920, St Louis City Directory, Memories of My Boyhood Anthony Klobasa, Missouri Death Certificate, St Louis Post Dispatch Obituaries, Headstones at Old & New Pickers Cemeteries Carmella Kranz & Penny Lemon.

St Louis Directory
1865-1869: Anthony KLOBASA Printer, 78 Soulard.
1870-1873: Anthony KLOBASA Printer/Foreman, r912 Soulard.

1880 US Census
Missouri V38 ED99 Sh30 L17: Caroline HANNSH, 412 Lafayette St, Born Bohemia, 38 yo, L/w Husband, 4 Children CH, AH, JH, LH, Keeping House.

1900 US Census
Missouri V100 Ed359 Sh4 L81: Caroline HANISCH, Wife, 4053 Connecticut St, Born Nov 1842, 57 yo, Mar 36 yrs, Born Bohemia, Parents Born Bohemia, 4 Children, 3 Remaining Alive [Anna J died 1894], 45 yrs in US, Reads, Writes, Speaks English.

1920 US Census
Missouri ED263 Sh12A L32: "4053 Connecticut St, Leo A Hanish, Parents Born Bohemia, Mother Tongue Bohemian."

Newpicker Cemetery Lot #60 Sect E Site Visit, Phone 352-3069, Buried 27 Mar 1910.

Memories of My Boyhood, Anthony Klobasa (Jr), St Louis MO 1937
"...In the meantime father received letters from his friends who had reached America, giving glowing accounts of the new country, telling of the large and prosperous farms they had, etc. With the picture of this bright prospect before her, mother very reluctantly consented to sell our estate, and father once more obtained a passport. After the estate had been sold mother wept day and night, but as the home was gone she could do nothing but consent to go with us to America. However, three months passed before mother was finally persuaded to leave the town, weeping bitterly all the while. This was in the fall of 1855.
"The day of the sailing all arrangements were made. Mother accompanied us to the sea shore of Hamburg, but refused to go aboard the ship. She remained on the shore all day watching the vast and dangerous ocean and the large ships, but was determined not to go any further, crying bitterly all day long. In the meantime all the other passengers went aboard, as well as our baggage, which was taken over on a small steamer and conveyed to the ship anchored a mile from shore. The sail ship was to leave at midnight. The captain sent a boat three different times for mother, but she remained on shore until almost dark. Finally father consulted the captain as to what he should do in his dilemma, and the captain replied, 'I will send a boat over to take the children and I think that when the chickens are gone the mother will follow.' This was accordingly done, the men taking the children against her protest and still she refused to leave, crying now for the children as she remained alone on shore. Father was tortured with pity and remorse. It was now beginning to get dark and the boat went back again. This time mother decided to join us, and when were all united we cried for joy.
"At midnight we left the shores of Europe for America on the sailing vessel 'Elizabeth Rypke'. The next day mother became ill, and continued to be very sick during the entire voyage, which lasted thirty days. Our destination was Racine, in the new state of Wisconsin where my uncle, Mr J Buresh, had been farming for the past two years. On our way to Racine we stopped at Buffalo, New York, where we met a friend of father's who had a jewelry store. He tried to discourage father from going to the wild woods of Wisconsin, and advised him to remain in the city, saying that the farm work was too hard and rough for a man like father...
"As I mentioned above, there was a little one room school house at one corner of our farm, which was attended by the children for miles around, principally during the winter months, because in the summer they all had to work on the farms. The teacher came at 8:30 to build the fire at the school, but the early comers usually gathered at our house to get warm (by that time we had a large stove), and the children remained until the bell rang, when they would run along together over the high snow drifts which covered the cross rail fences...
"In the meantime I attended the school, where I endeavored to learn English and in two winters I progressed to the first reader. I could not make much progress in English because during the summer I had to practice the vocabulary used on my horny companions at the plow and wagon...Our schoolmaster was a very kind and jolly man. During recess he played ball with us in the school yard, and was full of fun resorting to all sorts of capers, but when he tapped the bell in school every one respected his word and obeyed...
"After we had disposed of the farm, a friend in Iowa, who learned of the sale, persuaded father to come to Linn County, Iowa, where as he said, there were no stumps to contend with, and farming was a pleasure. Father, believing the man to be truthful and honest, adopted his suggestion...
"The school facilities were very poor in this section of the country at that time. There was a little school house about one and one-half miles from our farm. The teacher was a young lady, the daughter of one of the farmers. Twelve or thirteen children attended this school during the winter months and father insisted that my younger sister and I attend the school during the winter of 1859-60. Sometimes we would be caught in one of the cold prairie windstorms, which were so severe that we could hardly catch our breaths. My sister would cry as the cutting wind almost smothered her and prevented her from walking, and the only protection which I could offer would be to take off my little jacket, throw it over her head, and take her by the hand, leading her as best I could. We made very slow progress, and were utterly exhausted when we reached our destination..."
"After we had been attending this school for some time, my father observed that the instruction which we were receiving was very unsatisfactory. He realized that his children had a very poor opportunity to learn anything or make any headway, and being extremely solicitous for them, in that they should not be handicapped in the way of an education, he decided to discontinue farming and to move his family to a city where their opportunities for learning were better. His choice of cities was St Louis, which was then the largest city in the Central States, and where all the business of the South, West, North was centralized since the Mississippi River was the only means of transportation to the Atlantic Ocean...
"The driver stopped at a saloon on the northwest corner of Ninth and Soulard Street, which happened to be quite a lively corner and here we spent the night. On the south side of Soulard Street was a large flour mill, and on the Ninth street side new flour barrels were being unloaded. The coopers would open one end of the barrel and push them into the mill in order to be filled, and on Soulard Street the full barrels would be closed and put into wagons which were waiting to take them down to the river for shipment. All day long the sound of the coopers' tools was heard together with the merry songs of the happy workmen. Most of them would have a quart tin bucket with good old-time lager, with which they could wash down the flour dust from their throats, as well as their thoughts, in order to be free to laugh and sing. They were all Czechs and, characteristic of the nationality, were great lovers of song.
"The following day we moved to rooms on Jackson Street...Father obtained work in a tannery at seventy-five cents a day working in lime vats, but at this he was unable to continue, because within a very short time the palms of his hands began to fester, and as a result he was not able to do anything for weeks and weeks...
"A few months later I became ill with typhoid fever, and within a few days both my mother and my youngest sister had contracted the same illness. My older sister nursed us but we had no doctor. It happened that a doctor by the name of Veter (Polish) came to St Louis from Europe and was living in the Czech section on Tenth and Soulard. Someone called his attention to our case, and when he came to see us I was in a very critical condition. After examining me he wrote a prescription and handed it to my sister to have it filled at the drug store. 'But I have no money,' she replied. 'What! you have no money?' He was surprised and, taking the slip, he wrote upon it and told her to take it to Malt's Drug Store, which she did and returned with the medicine. This doctor being a stranger in the community and therefore not established, had plenty of time at his disposal and would call to see us three or four times a day, and often as late a ten o'clock at night. He was very solicitous about us, rendering every possible assistance in his power. After some weeks the doctor realized that most of the people had no money and that it would be useless to try to establish an office there, and after giving my sister explicit instructions on how to care for us- my mother was recovering very nicely, although there seemed to be little hope for me- he decided to enlist in the army as a first class physician..."

St Louis Post Dispatch Obituaries 1910
Hanish, Caroline (nee Klobasa) 3/28, *3/29.
This index of names was obtained from both the Death Notice and the Burial Permits listing in the St. Louis Post Dispatch.

...HANISH, CAROLINE b. 11-4-1842 d. 3-27-1910

Old Picker Cemetery - Microfilm 74 - SLCL. Old Picker's Cemetery see Holy Ghost Evangelical Cemetery
Old Picker's Cemetery - OC-Mo SLGS Vols. 3 and 4. StLMO:, 1982.



1. Immigration; Autumn 1855, Racine, Racine, Wisconsin, USA. "Elizabeth Rypke", From Hamburg Germany> Ellis Island> Erie Canal> Buffalo> Racine Wisconsin.

2. Removed; Abt 1859, , Linn, Iowa, USA. From Racine Wisconsin.

3. Removed; Abt 1860, St Louis, St Louis, Missouri, USA. Mississippi Steamship, From Linn Iowa

4. Occupation; 1864, St Louis, St Louis, Missouri, USA.

   Marriage Information:

Caroline married John B HANISH, son of HANISH and Mrs Hanish, in 1864 in , , , USA. (John B HANISH was born in Jun 1836 in , Swabia, Bohemia 4 11, died on 14 Jul 1902 in St Louis, St Louis, Missouri, USA 12 13 and was buried on 16 Jul 1902 in Cemetery, New Picker, 60 E, St Louis, St Louis, Missouri, USA 9 10.) The cause of his death was stomach Cancer.


1 Memories of My Boyhood, Anthony Klobasa, Jr, St Louis MO 1937, pp8-30.

2 St Louis City Directory, 1865-1873.

3 US Census 1880, Missouri V38 ED99 Sh30 L17.

4 Missouri Death Certificate, Bureau of the Census, State Board of Health, Department of Commerce, 1940, Registered No 108.

5 US Census 1900, Missouri V100 Ed359 Sh4 L81.

6 US Census 1920, Missouri ED263 Sh12A L32.

7 Missouri Death Certificate, Bureau of the Census, State Board of Health, Department of Commerce, 1910, Registered No. 1973.

8 Obituary Index, http://www.slpl.lib.mo.us/libsrc/obit10a.htm#H.

9 Headstones at Old & New Picker's Cemeteries, Carmella Kranz and Penny Lemon, 1997, http://members.tripod.com/~Vide_Poche/picker.html.

10 Cemetery Records, 60 E Newpicker Cemetery.

11 US Census 1920, Missouri.

12 St Louis Death Certificate, Division of Health, St Louis Death Certificate, (Bureau of Vital Statistics), 1902, Registered No 6068. Certified Copy No 3843 in genalogy files of Clifford G Andrew.

13 Obituary, 1902, St Louis Index.

Home | Table of Contents | Surnames | Name List

This Web Site was Created 27 Mar 2002 with Legacy 4.0 from Millennia